Wednesday, September 24, 2008

kindergarten recess

If you ever have a chance, I high suggest watching a kindergarten recess. Seriously. And the bigger, the better.

I come home for lunch. It is one of the luxuries of living close to work. I can come home, let out the dogs, and either watch an episode of the Office while I eat my lunch or clean something. The latter really depends on the day/days to come.

I usually return to work during kindergarten recess. I always make sure I walk through recess for 2 reasons:

1) I am only like the most popular person ever at kindergarten recess.

b) It is non-stop entertainment.

It is no secret that my favorite class in the building is 103/104. They are 9 children in kindergarten through 3rd grade with austism. Only one child is verbal. They have recess during kindergarten recess as well.

Today a small group of small children were waiting patiently by the door when I walked through the playground. I watched them as they were anticipating their playmate...and was pleasantly surprised when it happened to be one of the boys from 103/104. I then followed them as they followed him in an amazing game of follow the leader. He was by far the most popular student on the playground.

One of the things I love about my building is how the kids don't bat an eye at students who are considered "exceptional." The students from 103/104 are their friends.

And it is beautiful.

peace.

No comments: