Wednesday, September 17, 2008

a little insight

For the past few months Micah and I have been discussing our social calendar. While we are both trying to be respectful of the other person's desires, we are both being challenged in how we schedule. The next two stories will give you quite a bit of insight into how we are programmed.

Anna, our mother on the Bell side, shared with me a few weekends ago about Micah as a baby. She told me that as soon as Micah was carried out in his stocking (a Christmas baby), she wanted him to be a part of the family. She wasn't worried about Micah being on a strict schedule, but more that she wanted him interacting with his brothers, father, and herself. So she would bring him out on his blanket while his brothers were playing and to the dinner table when the family was eating. She said he would cry and cry and cry during these times. Finally she relented one day and put him in his crib.

Anna said that as soon as Micah was alone in his crib, he stopped crying. This continued to work when Micah would cry, and she soon learned that he was happiest when he was by himself.

Our mother on the Shepherd side, Beth, on the other hand likes to brag that she could leave me anywhere and I would just talk and play. In fact, she is incredibly proud of the fact that she could take me to the Elks club and leave me in my stroller by the bar. I would just talk and smile at people as they would come up to get their drinks.

Come to whatever conclusions you desire, but I hope this was as insightful for you as it is for us.

peace.

1 comment:

Annbellinski said...

Mom (Anna) is smiling:-)