Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Loneliness

During a wedding several years ago, I heard the officiant tell the couple that now that they were married they wouldn't be lonely ever again.

And while this was a beautiful and romantic sentiment at the time, I knew that it wasn't true.  Just because we are in the company of others doesn't mean that we can't feel alone.

Somewhere there is a blog written well before I was married about how I feel most alone right after a big music performance.  After all the congratulations are given and hugs received I am usually left alone in a gym to clean up the stage.

But yesterday something completely different happened.

We had a big celebration at my school for winning the Blue Ribbon Award.  We're kind of a big deal.

The kindergarten students sang first and, after they finished and were sitting in their seats, I got to go sit next to Micah.  :)  He came to the ceremony!

It was the most wonderful experience to have him with me!  I felt so loved and supported.  It was fabulous to share such an important part of my life with him.  He got to see the students I babble on about day after day and understand why I love them so much.

Then he got to see my middle school choir.  They are an absolutely wonderful group of students who challenge me on a regular basis.  Many tears and successes I have experienced as a teacher are brought forth by my middle school choir.

So, while I know there will be times in life where I feel lonely, yesterday wasn't one of those times!

peace.