Wednesday, November 5, 2008

smiles

I've written about I before...she's the little girl with leukemia in kindergarten. She was out for about a month, but she has been back at school for a couple weeks now. It is nice to have her in class again.

And I actually do have her in class, when given a choice she comes to music class! She doesn't always participate, but she wants to be there. Which I am exceedingly excited about! She does great in music class-can keep a steady beat, likes to sing, likes to play instruments. It's really great having her there.

Yesterday we were singing "Allison's Camel." A standard in kindergarten music literature. And it was great...we were flashing sign language numbers like peace signs. And then at the end of the song, E shouts "OH MY GOSH!" and as I look over to see what caused such an outburst, she says, "I is smiling!"

Then, as all the children turned their heads to look at I, they start to clap for her, which makes an even bigger smile come to her face.

The smiling lasted maybe 45 seconds, but the impact of it has carried me through today. It reminds me, that while I don't always like the politics of the education system or having to report to someone who was never a music teacher, there is so much more to my job than lesson plans and meetings.

By the way, she smiled again today-only she was on my lap, so I didn't get to see it.

Speaking of politics, just a little soapbox.

One of the great things about our nation is that we don't have to agree all the time...and we've been given avenues to share our disagreement when we have them.

But, if you believe in honoring God, you best be praying that your heart changes if you hold any kind of contempt for our current president or president-elect. Trust me, I have had to humble myself and do it before too.

peace.

1 comment:

Jamie Hergott said...

I very much agree with your last paragraph.