Saturday, July 4, 2009

doctors

So, we haven't had the greatest luck in the doctor department. Until recently, that is!

I've had a general practitioner who was fine, but her office staff was terrible-to the point where one of the nurses refused to call me "Carter" because it wasn't my given name on my birth certificate.

I had an OB that took over 3 and a half years to diagnose a very simple problem.

We had a vet that charged exorbitant fees for simple procedures.

But I feel like our luck with doctors is changing!

My OB was on maternity leave when we got pregnant, so we switched to someone else in the practice who has been AWESOME. We love him. He recommended us to a fabulous pediatrician. We got several recommendations for a GP in Broad Ripple who we met the other day and he was great as well.

It feels great to have wonderful doctors.

But there is one in particular that was the most difficult to decide upon-yes, even more difficult than the pediatrician.

Our veterinarian.

Dr. Doyle at Eastwood Animal Clinic is no ordinary vet. No, he is a swearing, straight talking, uses a person scale to weigh animals (he holds them while weighing himself), and wears his vet uniform from the 1970's kind of vet. An appointment is $38 plus $7 for each additional animal you bring with you. An appointment includes all medicines (minus shots) he may administer to your pet and all procedures.

But the best part is that he revealed the truth of Elmer.

Elmer is a normal, 9 year old dog. He has no major problems and will, most likely, need no major medical procedures. He also referred to Elmer as a Heinz 57 dog, with most likely a shepherd/hound mix of some kind to him.

So, $16 for ear wash and $1 per xanax pill later for Elmer and we have a healthy dog who looks to outlive us, potentially. We don't know whether to rejoice or to be a little overwhelmed. (Just kidding...kind of.)

In other news, I'm just trying to avoid thinking about Miss Bell's avoidance in making her appearance in this world.

And I hope I don't hear another person say that she'll come anytime when they hear that on Monday I was 2 centimeters dilated and half effaced. I promise I appreciate your observation and enthusiasm for the birth of our daughter, but I might just scream at the thought that she could come any moment and yet she isn't....

peace.

No comments: