Friday, August 7, 2009

But before I update you on Campbell, a big congrats to our friends Bret and Erin Hawkins who have just endured the LONGEST pregnancy EVER and will be bringing home their daughter Grace Min Wei Hawkins from China on Saturday! They've been pursuing her for 4 years and finally have their daughter! You can read more athttp://bretanderin.blogspot.com/

(And I thought 9 months was long suffering!)

Campbell has been in the real, live world for 2 weeks and 3 days now...instead of eloquently trying to update you on her life, our lives, the dogs, and general observations, I am going to do a point by point of whatever I can think of to write while I wait for her to wake up for her next feeding.

*I feel like I understand little parts of God more now. I have a better grasp of what it means to love in all circumstances-be it the smiles or the screams...as well as what it means to have the past wiped from your memory, much as I imagine what is meant when Biblical writers speak of God forgetting our past transgressions. As soon as Campbell was born, one of my first thoughts was that I would bear another child again in a heartbeat! This is similar to how I feel after a monster of a screaming fit...the fit could last (and have) up to 4 hours, but a soon as it is over I am consumed with love for Campbell. I forget how long the hours seemed and am brought right back to the moment of having my sweet girl snuggling on my chest.

*Campbell is a great eater, she gained 14 ounces in 8 days...and grew an inch! And one of the best parts is that when she is searching for her food source she snorts like a pig. Seriously, I feel like I am in "A Christmas Story" where the mom is telling her son to show her how a little piggy eats! Campbell is a little piggy.

*Being a mother is infinitely more difficult than I ever imagined; but as in all challenges, it is also infinitely more rewarding.

*I am blessed with amazing family and friends who love deeply.

*Nursing is a lot like boxing...I have ointment to treat the wounds, Micah feeds me water while my hands are tied, and when I get up from the rocking chair it hits the metal lamp a lot like a bell. And every once in a while, a cold wash cloth is needed...

*Campbell sleeps amazingly well in the night most of the time. We have had nights where there has only been one interruption and Campbell sleeps up to 5 hour stretches. I believe this makes up for her refusal to take a morning nap and only taking a shortened evening nap.

*Books make things sound easy. I never guessed that nursing could be one inch short of medieval torture. Or that getting a routine would require so much effort. Or teaching a baby to sleep in a crib would be so heart wrenching. I am all about the tough love as a teacher, but even I have my limits as to how long I can listen to Campbell scream (not cry, but exorcist scream) before I have to get her! All I've realized I can do is take it one nap at a time.

*Campbell is wicked strong...both physically and in the will department. She can lift her head for upwards of 20 to 30 seconds. She can push her way up your body with her legs. She likes to grab Micah's chest hair and pull really hard. Strong willed wise, if she wants cuddles she will scream until she gets them. We are on our 4th day of no morning nap until it's on my chest. I have tried to teach her to sleep in the crib, but she has cried for up to 45 minutes when left to her own devices.

*Micah and I have to make great efforts to stay connected to each other. We started to get the hang of how to be husband and wife while being parents then he went back to work. I miss him.

*Our lives are consumed by eating and pooping.

peace.

PS This blog was interrupted twice in the writing. :)

PPS Our internet is spotty at best, so writing and publishing this was a nine hour process...kids change lives a bunch.

1 comment:

Andrea Moberly said...

Oh Carter, you sound so much like me with my first! I am so glad you feel such love for your child. We'll keep praying for you guys :)