Friday, September 18, 2009

marriage

When most people get married I expect their first thought isn't "when will we get divorced?" Really, while we all know divorce exists most think they are exempt.

My parents divorced when I was in high school then got remarried 2 years ago. My dad was married to my sisters' mom before that. My brother is in the midst of a divorce that is crazier than a soap opera. And, recently, I have found that a handful of my friends are in the midst of divorces themselves.

And it's my friends' divorces that have hit home. The divorces in my family were evident in their coming. But the divorces in my friends' lives have caught me a bit off guard. Especially since they still love their soon-to-be ex-spouse.

I am not writing this to judge, not in the least bit, but to realize that life is fleeting. And no matter how much Micah and I say that divorce isn't an option (which we firmly believe), marriage is work. Regardless of how blissful it is currently, any moment can be invading in the destruction of this bliss.

Doom and gloom aside, I write this as a reminder that Micah and I need keep the communication open and honest. We must continue to share ourselves with each other-emotionally, intellectually, physically. This is made none easier by our beautiful daughter. We must cloak ourselves in prayer and not to forget to pray together. We are not immune.

We work really hard to have an easy marriage. :)

peace.

No comments: