Thursday, August 14, 2008

back to school, back to school...

My teaching schedule is still a mystery to me on the 2nd day of teaching.  This is not unusual, it is just hard since one of the many reasons I became a teacher is because I love children.  And not having my own classes in which to see them makes this difficult.

So today I decided to help in a kindergarten classroom that is without an assistant.  It was awesome!  I loved getting to spend time with the kids, getting to know them, hear their funny stories (they were on a Grandpas with beards kick this morning), and see their faces light up when they discover something new.

I met a boy who has two siblings in our building that are behavior issues with academic struggles.  He was bright and vibrant and fun.  He was polite and loved to learn.  And he has the most beautiful almost black because they are such a deep brown color of eyes. 

I met a little boy with aspbergers who would respond to me if I talked to him.  He has glasses and wears a very serious look on his face.  He is smart and organized.

And I met a little girl who reminded me what it means to love like Jesus.  She is bald from the chemotherapy treatments she receives for leukemia.  She is shy to the point where her parents call her a "selective mute."  And while I didn't pressure her to talk, I persisted on loving her to a point where she could be comfortable asking for her needs.  About 2 hours into the morning she came to me and started telling me about how the doctors put her to sleep so that "it won't hurt."

It just was a wonderful moment to have a little girl going through such devastating circumstances share those with me.  So I can be a part of her journey and love her through it.  Like Jesus who is loving us through this journey.  He will not forsake or leave us.

I love my job for lots of reasons, but mostly I love getting love kids like Jesus loves us.

peace.

No comments: