Friday, August 15, 2008

Reconciliation

I was looking through some friend's blogs when I ran across a link for this music video. I'm always on the lookout for "famous" musicians doing good things with their music to share with my students. We have positive music sharing time throughout the first nine weeks.

There was an organization in this video that caught my eye called Homeboy Industries (http://www.homeboy-industries.org/). In the video it was a white man surrounded by a very diverse group of men cheering and flashing various (peaceful) hand gestures.

After researching the organization I learned that a priest, Father Greg, started it to bring reconciliation to rivaling gang members, to educate them and find jobs for them. They even have an attorney on staff who fights for these men!

Father Greg is bringing humanity and compassion to a group of people who know and have experienced very little of it themselves.

It reminded me of being in Uganda in the Music for Life Primary School with former African Childrens Choir members from Uganda and Rwanda. There were children from both the Hutu and Tutsi tribes.

I heard the principal say that it is possible that some of the Hutu children's parents murdered some of the Tutsi children's parents. He mentioned that God was bringing reconciliation between the two tribes in his school. That in Rwanda when Tutsi survivors are united with Hutu rebels who tortured their families and given the opportunity (by the government) to retaliate, the Tutsi people are choosing forgiveness over revenge.

It brings new understanding for me in regards to having peace in my heart.

peace.

No comments: